Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Review: THE SIREN by Tiffany Reisz

The Siren
by Tiffany Reisz
Publisher: Harlequin/Mira
Release Date: July 24, 2012
Series: The Original Sinners, #1
Source: NetGalley


Notorious Nora Sutherlin is famous for her delicious works of erotica, each one more popular with readers than the last. But her latest manuscript is different—more serious, more personal—and she's sure it'll be her breakout book...if it ever sees the light of day.

Zachary Easton holds Nora's fate in his well-manicured hands. The demanding British editor agrees to handle the book on one condition: he wants complete control. Nora must rewrite the entire novel to his exacting standards—in six weeks—or it's no deal.

Nora's grueling writing sessions with Zach are draining…and shockingly arousing. And a dangerous former lover has her wondering which is more torturous—staying away from him...or returning to his bed?

Nora thought she knew everything about being pushed to your limits. But in a world where passion is pain, nothing is ever that simple.


The Siren is the first book in The Original Sinners series. It’s a continuation of Nora’s (Eleanor) story from, Seven Day Loan. I liked Nora from that first story of her as a young submissive woman loaned out to her Master’s friend. But in The Siren ten years have passed and Eleanor has left her Dominant lover and is a successful author of erotica. She is no longer a submissive but has become one of the top Dominants of New York’s underground BDSM scene. 

Her current work in progress is a more personal book that she is hoping will break her out into the mainstream. She is to work with Zach Easton, a British editor who is known to be difficult and hardnosed. At first he balks at working with her but after two face to face meeting with Nora, he’s all in. He agrees to give her six weeks to re-write her book to his exacting standards. Zach has his own demons. He struggles to put a broken marriage behind him while trying to look forward to a new job in Los Angeles. Through the course of writing and editing the new book and a brief affair, Nora may help Zach make his way back to his estranged wife. 

Nora Sutherland is a complex character. She’s a woman who is comfortable in her skin and does whatever it takes to get what she wants. I loved her ballsy take-charge attitude. And her sex scenes with several different characters were lush and decadent. I definitely have a huge girl crush on Mistress Nora. 
“Zach this isn’t a game, you know. I don’t just write it. I live it. I’m a Domme, a female Dominant. There aren’t a lot of us around. Most Dominants are men. Technically I’m a Switch since I can top and bottom, but if I show up on your doorstep, get ready to say ouch. I’m not good at it-I’m amazing at it. So good at it that I’m as famous down here for my skills with a whip as I am in the straight world for my skills with a pen.”  ~ Nora
 The Siren is the first book in a planned series. I suspect that some of the secondary characters in this book will eventually get their own stories. Wesley Railey is Nora’s nineteen year old intern. It’s rumored that he is her live in lover. Their relationship is complicated and endearing. 

Griffin Fiske is a wild and sarcastic kinkster who we meet at the 8th Circle kink club. I think he will prove to be a fun and entertaining character. 

Kingsley Edge is the figurehead and king of New York’s underground kink scene. He helps Nora navigate her life after she breaks ties with her Dominant. Kingsley trains her in the art of domination and helps her to become the top Domme. He’s mysterious and sexy and I am looking forward to his story. 

Then there’s the infamous and omniscient Søren. He’s known Nora since she was a teenager and groomed her to be his submissive. He’s the ultimate sadist and the top Dominant within the kink community. His profession is a shocking contrast to his unflinching love of kink.  While I enjoyed Nora’s interactions with Zach and the rest of the characters, I got really excited when Søren entered the story. I love a big bad sadist. Søren and Nora’s love affair is epic and I can’t wait to read more about it. 

Tiffany Reisz has written an incredible story with clever, witty dialogue and multi-faceted characters. With the main characters being an author and an editor, the reader gets a fantastic bird’s eye view into the creative and analytical processes of creating a novel. The plot is intricate and engaging and I enjoyed everything about it.  The eroticism in this book is really intense but if you like your stories complex, dark and dirty then you will not be disappointed with The Siren.
4.5 Dragons



2 comments:

  1. Very original story! I'm glad you liked it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should check it out Carole. The second one, The Angel is even better.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I appreciate all of your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Cherry Blossom kit by Lily Designs